So it was Jake's birthday last week, the 28th of November to be exact. It was my intention to take him out to a nice dinner, make him the devil's food cupcakes with milk chocolate frosting he wanted, and write this blog. Baby Mahalo had other plans and I pretty much spent the night in bed. Then I got very busy and all Jake got was a "happy birthday" from me and some pizza for dinner. Well, I am here to make this right! We will go out for a lovely dinner this weekend, the cupcakes just came out of the oven, and here is my ode to the love of my life! In no particular order, 31 things I love about Jake...
1. His spot on impression of Borat, which makes me laugh just thinking about it.
2. His concern for global warming.
3. His dedication to school.
4. The fact that he buys me flowers for no particular reason.
5. When he talks to our baby, and reminds me that I should probably stop swearing soon.
6. The way he makes mac and cheese, so delicious!
7. The fact that he will watch Oprah and the Amazing Race with me.
8. His new found fascination with NPR.
9. How he looks when he first wakes up.
10. How he takes the garbage out and cleans the shower every time it needs to be done.
11. His logical mind.
12. The fact that he is super smart with computers.
13. How he is organizing a study group in his physics class to help the people that aren't understanding.
14. He's strong.
15. He can fix anything.
16. He thinks I am super smart. (a common misconception!)
17. He likes pizza almost as much as I do.
18. He's very protective.
19. He watches cartoons and laughs out loud at them.
20. He has no problem cooking or cleaning.
21. He bundles me up with blankets every night during my cold spell.
22. The way he puts the sheets on the bed, something I cannot do.
23. How he rubs my head when I am sick.
24. His obsession with energy efficient light bulbs.
25. His commitment to his PlayStation.
26. His exquisite gift giving ability.
27. When he pretends he is an old man and can't hear anything I am saying.
28. He's very good with money.
29. How he loves the clothes I buy him, or at least pretends to.
30. When he kisses my nose.
31. How he knows all of the characters in Days of Our Lives and will engage in conversation about them as though they are my friends and family.
Wow, that was easy, I could go for another 31! Anyway, I love you baby, you are the very best.

13 comments:
Jake, you're a fantastic guy who deserves such a great woman like Stephanie. You two have the truest form of love and it positively warms my heart!
It also helps to know how loved Jake is in the event that anyone else in his family ever forgets his birthday (sorry Jake). Love you both very much. ~Goldie
Happy B-day Jake. Laura reminded me to call you but I forgot. I'm a bad bad man. At least it sounds like Steph loves you enough for all of us. Are you older than me yet?
I wonder how I managed to raise three very good and exceptionally decent kids. You all make me proud but you must stop getting so old!! Mom
What a sweet list. Happy Birthday Jake, sounds like it was a good one.
FYI:
Baby Mahalo is our gender-neutral name for the baby until we know what it is. Since its ears only just started to work, we see no harm. Mahalo means "thank you" in Hawaiian.
For the record:
I do not watch Days. As time goes on and I am forced to make fun of the shallow plot lines, bad acting, and over the top melodrama; I find myself repeating the same rhetoric whenever I make comments. I am trying to change it up a little by belittling the actual characters and their actions and reactions. I compare very narrow attributes the characters might be showing to certain people that we both know in life. Basically, the sweeping disgruntlement I have of the genre “soap opera”, is just not poignant enough to give me pleasure anymore. I need to dig deeper and pull from my life’s reserve of cynicism and spite. In short, I do know the characters and on the surface, I would seem to be more knowledgeable about Days than most men were. It is simply research. The better one knows their enemy, the more effective you can be in your attacks upon that enemy.
wow honey that's quite a denouncement of what i thought was one of your favorite shows. why else would you say to me when i come through the door from work "is it time to watch days, is it? is it?" and then you run to the tv and cue it up. it's ok to admit you like it, i know ryan does too.
You guys are too much! (And by "much," I mean "cute.") Jake, I was particularly interested to hear your thoughts on the completely different experience that is Days of Our Lives since it got a new head writer in the form of "the god of all soap writing" Hogan Sheffer. To make blanket statements about the show as if it is the same now as it was six months ago is not representative of you or your keenness. Let me know when you watch 3 a day and then we'll sit around and discuss the genre.
P.S. You must have it pretty good if watching Steven "Patch" Johnson on screen isn't the highlight of your day!
P.P.S. I can't believe out of all the wonderful things that have appeared on this blog, this is what I have chosen to talk about.
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!
"...I find myself repeating the same rhetoric whenever I make comments" Jacob Bennett, For the Love of a Bennett Bean blog, comment five.
This is the actual comment I felt was most likely to pull Tabetha’s comments from the ether. I am surprised to see that it was the use of "genre" instead.
It is my understanding that all men who watch soap operas are gay (i.e. Montanan Philosophy 101). Therefore, when considering the purpose and namesake of this blog, I'm inclined to believe that Jake's excessively wordy and overly self-protective reaction is in fact, genuine; even if it does sound a bit suspicious.
um I don't love Days ether Steph...well ok I do love the full body cast, patch, the loosing of memories, the getting buried alive, the face transplant and all the other absolutely ridiculous things that happen on the show. Oh and I really like the dramatic pause before the commercial break.
I was brain washed into watching days as a kid by my cousin Angie. I remember Patch before he left and then came back but had amnesia and I also recall when Carly Manning was buried alive, that really terrified me.
I also find it very amusing that smart, well educated girls like Dana, Stephanie and Tabetha watch it regularly.
Oh and I can't stand Sammy at all.
Correction, you cannot stand the fictional character that is referred to as "Sammy". The person you see on the TV is just an actress and I am sure that she is a lovely person in real life. She likely has days with acne or frizzy hair. If in real life she fell into a pit and was kept there until her baby is born so some crazy broad can raise the baby as her own thus having evidence that her fake pregnancy is real in order to steal the father of the child away from his one true love (lady in the pit) and the crazy broad is being blackmailed by a witch who owns a orangutan who I assume is her husband, GOSH I wish I was making this up, she would die. I await the eminent correction I will receive because of that description but you ladies CAN’T deny it. You know EXACTLY what I am talking about and you should be ashamed.
Although you are spot on with your recreation of the Sheridan/Beth/Luis triangle, it is actually Passions, and not Days of Our Lives that you are referencing. I would like it known that I no longer participate in the craziness that is Passions. I can even admit I was ashamed to partake. Days of Our Lives is nothing like Passions. It is far superior.
OMG - don't you people have JOBS???
Post a Comment