Sunday, November 19, 2006

My First Glimpse of the Oregon Coast

I was in Eugene, Oregon this week, and my brother just happened to be there on vacation with his friend Dane. I haven't seen him for a very long time so it was fun to catch up, advise him on his girl troubles and eat like pigs at the Olive Garden.

I had some extra time on thursday afternoon and thought it would be a great time to drive out to see this Oregon Coast I have heard so much about. But first, a side note. When I picked up my rental car in Portland I had only two choices...a PT Cruiser or a minivan. There was no way I was going to drive the minivan as I am not a mother of 2 or more children. Minivans are reserved for those people. So I chose the electric blue PT Cruiser. I have never understood the fascination with these vehicles and always thought they were kind of lame. Well I am here to tell you that I will now be choosing a PT Cruiser every time it is available. They are very funky and unique automobiles and a pure joy to drive.

On to the coast! We loaded up the PT with Kyle and Dane, stopped at the store to get me some smoked gouda cheese (which is my current obsession) and started the hour long drive to Florence. When I first saw the coastline in all it's glory I think I stopped breathing for a second. It is absolutely stunning. This is not your California coast, folks. The waves were gigantic and the general feel of the ocean was very tempestuous. As Dane so perfectly put it, "This is an angry ocean. Let's not upset it further."
We only spent a little time out there, but it was well worth the drive and I can hardly wait to spend a week out there next summer with the family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The coast is beautiful. I now want to go and visit the pacific northwest. As for the mini-van PT cruiser dilema, I think you made the wrong choice. As a mother of two children, who's first purchase would be a 2007 Honda Odyssey with every available option if I were to win the power ball, I think everyone should always choose the mini-van.

Jake said...

So long as it had AWD (all wheel drive), ABS (automatic braking system), ATC(automatic traction Control), ABC(automatic braking Control), active suspension (hard to explain), fuel/electric Hybrid and a compass in the rear view mirror (very important). If it has all that then I would not care if it looked like a complete hoopty from the outside. Granted, there are not many umpteenth thousand dollar cars that are hoopties but I would own one if there were. So far, they do not make such a car. It might take all your powerball money to buy these options :(

Anonymous said...

Laura has a minivan - she hates it. I like it because I can haul 4x8 sheetrock out of the weather. Which I can't do with my $40k crew cab pickup. Go figure...

Anonymous said...

Eric is driving a mini van these days. Heck of a lot better gas mileage than his 4x4 pickup! He likes that he can keep all his tools locked up (and dry). I'm personally with Jake. Just give me options, baby!!!

Isn't the Oregon coast great? I haven't been there in several years now. I miss it!!!

Anonymous said...

BTW - Steph, you look great!!!